Monday, April 26, 2010

Thoughts on Being "Euro".

Ira Ryan had some interesting thoughts on the use of the term “euro” as opposed to “pro” and so on, so I thought I would share a few words on the subject, one that I spend an extraordinary time thinking about. The ultimate cyclist is not pro, I have seen too many very fast racers who have the worst taste and style, worrisome bike fits and an overall ignorance towards cycling as a culture outside of sport. On the other hand there are those who fetishize bikes and spend crazy money and time on obsessive retro projects and the next big thing to impress there friends but surprisingly little time riding. The kind of guy with carbon wheels and the newest wonder bike but xxxl shorts from 10years ago. I think the perfect cyclist one that I hope to become, a monk, he moves and pedals effortlessly his style is subtle, clean and undeniable. Racing is a tool used to improve the breed not to define it, racers burn out and fade away (get fat). This takes years of time and patience and more time riding than ranting on the interweb.

No comments:

Post a Comment